Wednesday, June 9, 2010

In Need of Some Help...

Ok, here's the deal.
I have this old wooden schoolhouse chair that I want to redo and paint a number on.
 I rescued it last year when my aunt was going to sell it at her garage sale. My fiance absolutely hates it (he actually said "That is not going in our house!" to which I rolled my eyes and assured him that yes, actually it was), but I know it has potential.
My inspiration is this little stool from The Lettered Cottage.


The thing is...I am a total beginner when it comes to these things.
I know you are all seasoned experts on taking something old and making it beautiful. So, I have some questions and would love any advice you would be willing to give!

1. How much do I sand the chair? It's really dark in some places...old stain, dirt, who knows. Do I sand it until all of this is off? Or just enough so that it's smooth?

2.  There are some places where the wood looks almost bubbled. Is this normal? What do I do with these areas?

3. Do I re stain the wood or just put a clear poly over it?

4. Do I need to stain or seal the bottom of the chair? Like underneath the seat?

See, I told you...I'm totally clueless about this stuff! Thanks for bearing with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment