Friday, August 27, 2010

That "Gut Feeling"


Ok, this isn't a decor, wedding, or fashion related post.
Today, I just want to share a "life lesson" that I experienced first hand.

This afternoon, I was at Hobby Lobby, browsing for some good buys. I walked around the store, and noticed the same older gentleman several times. I half smiled at him and went about my shopping. At one point, I stopped to look at some picture frames, and there he was again, peeking around the end of the aisle. My internal dialogue went something like this..."That's weird. Wonder what he's looking at..." So I went to another aisle. And there he was. I started to get this really funny feeling, so I left the store.

 I walked out to the parking lot and got in my car. I locked the doors and called my fiance, who didn't answer. I looked around the parking lot and that man was standing outside, staring at my car. 

"Ok, maybe that's just a coincidence. He left the store at the same time. You're overreacting" I told myself.

I drove through the parking lot and stopped at the stoplight. I looked behind me, and there that man was, in his car, right behind me.

Just then my fiance called me back. I told him what was going on. He told me to pull into the mall parking lot, make a few turns, and see if the guy was still behind me.

At this point, we were both in the left lane, while a school bus was in the right. I sped up a little and got in front of the bus. The guy did the same thing. I turned into the mall parking lot. The guy did the same thing. I went down a lane. He did too. I turned. He turned.

Crying ensued.

My fiance tried to keep me calm. "You have your mace, right? Get it out. Just get out of the parking lot as fast as you can."

I did, looking in my rearview mirror the entire time. I didn't see him again. I probably should have called the cops, but I didn't even know what kind of car he was driving, only that it was silver.
I think that once that creepy man realized I was paying attention and saw him, he gave up.

This man was old, probably late 70s, he didn't look dangerous. I never would have thought to be afraid of an old man. I'm from a very small town, and was in a larger town an hour away. The town I work in, go to school in. I run errands all over that town by myself all the time. I never think of what could happen.

I'm just sharing this as a reminder to always be aware and trust your gut feeling. You know when something doesn't feel right. And that feeling is usually right. Even if it isn't, it's much better to be overly cautious.

~Talk to you soon~

No comments:

Post a Comment