Saturday, July 24, 2010

Progress Is Being Made!



This is what my life has consisted of the past two days...


with plenty of this thrown in...

We got the keys to the house yesterday!

My mom, sister, and I went over last night and started the glorious project that is cleaning the kitchen. We got a ton done...all of the cabinets were scrubbed down, drawers were washed, and 50 years worth of stick on drawer liner was painstakingly removed from every surface (seriously people, adding another layer on top of the old one doesn't get rid of the gunk, it just hides it).

Today we painted two coats of crisp white paint inside all of the kitchen cabinets. The paint that was there was some sort of disgusting mixture of yellow and brown, ugh. We also used some (non-stick!) white drawer liner inside the drawers. Now I can't wait to put our silverware and dishes inside the fresh, clean cabinets!

Bryan, my fiance, got alot done too. He patched all the holes around the house in preparation to paint, added a fresh coat of white paint to all the trim throughout the house, and God bless him...cleaned the bathroom! Oh my goodness, there aren't words for what that bathroom looked like. Now that it's all nice and clean, it's ready for some work tomorrow. I'm going for a clean, beachy look in here. We're going to use a dark sandy color on the walls and I'm going to attempt to create a skirted sink with blue and white striped fabric!


Tomorrow, my goals are to get the kitchen painted light green, get the bathroom painted, and paint the inside of the linen closet white.


After Bryan gets home from work, his plans are to paint our bedroom {we're using light grey on the walls and all white bedding. I want a really simple, relaxing space. I'm not going to use a whole lot of decor in our bedroom. I really want it as just a restful place to sleep!}
and get the second bedroom, which we are using as our computer room, painted blue.

We have alot of work still, so if you don't hear from me for awhile, you know what I'm doing!
I am sooo thankful for my mom and sister! They have been such a huge help getting the house move in ready! We're having tons of fun working on it and I can't wait to be able to start decorating and putting the finishing touches on each room!

Now that we're in it, fixing it up, I'm really starting to like our little house! It's not perfect, but really, what is? I don't know how I missed the charming details (like the white trim) the first time we looked at it!

* On a side note, I have discovered that I don't like hearing that we shouldn't be spending money on the house or that it's "just a rental". I am fully aware of this. But, the fact of the matter is--I have to live there! I want our first place together to be clean, comfortable, and to feel like a home! My environment affects me so much, so why would I live somewhere that I'm not 100% comfortable in? So, while some people would be perfectly fine just moving their stuff into a house, I am completely loving making this rental house OURS...we're going to be living there for at least the next year, so I feel fine spending a little money to make it look and feel the way I want  :)

~Have a wonderful day girls! Hope to talk to you soon...and share some pictures!!~


No comments:

Post a Comment