Wednesday, October 6, 2010

The Important Stuff


This past weekend, Bryan and I had to go to a "conference for engaged couples" through his church. It's a requirement for any couple getting married at his church. It was an all-day event that I was not looking forward to. We got there, ate breakfast, and settled in our uncomfortable chairs to listen to a middle aged couple lecture us on having a good Catholic marriage.

What I took away from this day was not at all expected.
One of the speakers told us a story of a couple in their 100s, who had been together for 80-some years. Bryan and I looked at each other and said, "I want to be that couple".
It's easy when you are planning a wedding to get caught up in all the "details". What kind of flowers are we using? What flavor will our cake be? Do I have the perfect dress? etc.

But that's not the important stuff.
The important stuff is remembering to respect and appreciate each other. To take time each day to do something nice for your spouse. To set aside time to let him know what you need from him, and to listen to what he needs from you.

We took notes at this conference. We made a list of some things that will improve our relationship. For starters, I learned that I need to put the computer away sometimes! Too many times, we sit in the same room, but I completely ignore him because I'm on the computer. I'm trying to change this. Something else that stuck with me this day...you can't go into a marriage or be in a marriage, for that matter, and think that if something goes wrong or things get difficult that you can separate. Separating is not an option. We are being called to marriage by God and we're stuck together, forever. We have also decided to start praying together. It's hard! Praying is a very intimate thing and it's strange to share that. It gets easier each night though! If you haven't before, try it!

~ Have a wonderful day xo

No comments:

Post a Comment